Step 1 - Create a Host (A) record on your Domain Controller
- Go to DNS Manager on your DC
- Select your domain (e.g company.com)
- Right click and select New Host (A)
- Type in the prososed subdomain name (e.g intranet)
- Enter the IP address you will be assigning to that subdomain
- Click Add Host, then click done
Step 2 - Test your Subdomain
- If your network settings is correct you can ping the new subdomain and it will quickly show you "Pinging intranet.company.com [your IP address for the subdomain]... Request time out.
Step 3 - Add the new subdomain to the MOSS WFE NIC.
- On your MOSS front end, goto Control Panel>Network Connections> Select the NIC you are using for the local network
- Click Properties > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties > Advanced > Add (under IP addresses) > type in your IP address for the sub domain.
- Click Ok > Ok till you leave the settings screen.
Step 4 - Test your subdomain again
- Ping the subdomain name (intranet.company.com)
- You should have the ping back now successful
Step5 - Create a Web App using the Subdomain
- On the MOSS front end, goto IIS Manager, Create a Web App, using its properties add your content pool account.
- Open up Central Admin > Application Management > Click create new web app
- Fill out the details, under web application > select use existing web app > select your created web app in 1 above..complete the form. now remember in the site address type your subdomain as http://intranet.company.com.. then click ok.
- This should create you a web app, web site for you to use with site collections having your subdomain as a URL.