I had a client who wanted to do a name change in SharePoint which should be a normal easy thing to do using the STSADM command MigrateUser. See my post on that here Name Changes for SharePoint User.
But on following the steps in my post I encountered an Error "New user account does not have a valid SID history" ...uhmmm strange!
So I thought, what would I do to resolve this. I know! google it. But the google results I got didn't really resolve my issue. I then looked into the SQL database to find the user info.
So I decided to perform a force "-ignoresidhistory"
Ok, lets make things simple.
1. Add the new user login to the Site Collection
- Site Actions > Site Settings > People and Groups
- Add new user > Type the new user login details > Click Ok
2. View the new user profile
- Move mouse over new user account in SharePoint
- Copy the new user account ID
- Go to http://servername/_layouts/userdisp.aspx?Force=True&ID=[ID Copied from above]
3. Delete new user account from Site Collection
4. Ask user to visit the site collection again.
5. A new user account ID is created. Problem fixed. User details updated.